March 30, 2020

Anxiety is for real




Anxiety is real.  I can't control it.  I clench my jaw so hard it makes my teeth hurt.  My heart palpitates uncontrollably.  I can't focus.  I'm on edge.  I'm living inside my head.

What I just described is my worst day.  I wish I could tell you that these symptoms only come on when I'm super stressed our during a traumatic situation, but that wouldn't be the truth.  These symptoms can come on with no warning, and with no real reason.  In traumatic situations they are magnified x 10.

Yesterday, our Social Distancing requirements were extended by the President until April 30th.  I do love my family and being at home, but I am more than ready to be released from house arrest.  This news has caused, you guessed it, more anxiety.  I'm doing my best not to let it consume me like the giant T-Rex that it is, but it's taking everything I have.

In search of a little encouragement today, I chose to read Philippians 4:6-7 where Paul offers some very good advice:

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

I think I may print this verse and hang it at my desk. I know that this works, as I have experienced God's peace and and it is wonderful. It's like weight is physically lifted off of your shoulders and you can breathe freely again.

Today I am grateful for some extra time to read the Bible and refocus.  

I encourage you to be mindful of the people around you and what they might be going through.  It might be different than what you are experiencing.  Offer encouragement and reassurance - you have no idea how much receiving this helps a persons anxiety.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Today I went for a long one hour walk! For the first half of my walk I talked to God which brought peace to my heart! On the second half of my walk I talked to my grandkids😀 this took my mind off all the things I’d just talked to God about. I think HE knew just what I needed!

Jenna Rangel said...

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I relate to this post. Especially the first two paragraphs. Just not you are absolutely not alone!

Jenna Rangel said...

*know