April 02, 2020

Virtually me



This is how we interact with each other now.  Zoom, Skype and FaceTime.  I spend a lot of time looking into that tiny dot on my laptop or iPad and "meeting" with co-workers.

I'm an introvert.  For me, this virtual meeting stuff actually requires more energy than meeting in person.  I feel more vulnerable because my every move is projected on someone else's screen.  A screen that they are sitting and staring at because I'm not in the same room. It's funny, I actually find myself looking at my own screen more than that of the other person because I want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid or embarrassing on my end.  I'm probably more focused on than than I am on the other person.  I wonder if that goes both ways?

Dear Skype and Zoom software people,

Your background effects and filters are great, but could you please create filters or masks for our faces too?  I would like to be Chewbacca or Sophia from the Golden Girls.

Sincerely,
Me

No comments: