April 14, 2020

Me and make-up free!






I cant tell you the last time I wore a full face of make-up.  There was a point where I could not leave the house without make-up on, but I'm quickly coming to the realization that I'm good without it.

I got to thinking, I don't care if my family sees me and my "make-up free" face and they are the most important people in the world to me.  So why do I care if the rest of the world sees me this way?  Am I afraid that people will not like me because I don't have my face slathered with a colored chemical concoction?

What is this obsession that we have with perfection?  It seems to be ingrained in our brains at a very young age that we have to hide our imperfections (or what we think are imperfections).  I think social media has contributed to this in a big way, and made it more difficult than ever to feel okay about how we look.  I've watched a few YouTube videos and women are putting on foundation, primer, concealer, highlight, contour, eye shadow, lash primer,  eye liner, mascara, blush, lip liner and lipstick - all in the same sitting.  This is their version of beautiful and perfect, but when they finish they look NOTHING like themselves!

I think we should go back to basics.  Less is more, at least that's how I was taught to apply make-up.

After being makeup free for weeks, I have found that my skin looks healthier and is breaking out less, even with all of the stress from current events.  I am starting to embrace who I am and actually like the way I look without make-up.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to wear a tinted lip balm and the occasional brush of mascara, but I'm not sure I will go back to a full foundation.

Maybe quarantine is giving us time to rediscover ourselves.  I would never have decided to give up make-up on a day where I was going to work.  Yes, there is the weekend, but two days is not enough to really see a big enough difference and get used to my "new skin".

Today I am grateful for time to rediscover myself and the opportunity to learn to love myself as I am.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Your right I put on a base for Easter and my face did not like it one bit! Yep one day and what do I have to show for it? You guessed it a ZIT!
I remember when grandma quit wearing make up, her skin looked better to the point I told her she looked better without it!